From questions on fleas and ticks to inquiries about food hazards, our expert panel has the answers.
Karen “Doc” Halligan, a distinguished veterinarian, author, shelter director and devoted pet owner, has gained national acclaim as a spokesperson for animal health and welfare. She has appeared on LIVE! with Regis and Kelly, ABC, NBC, FOX, Animal Planet, Animal Rescue 911, and HGTV.
There is no need to reapply PetArmor following your pet’s exposure to water, bathing or swimming, as PetArmor remains effective in these conditions. Treat your pet with PetArmor only once a month.
See your veterinarian. Your pet could have other skin issues that may need specialized care.
If you see fleas after several weeks, it could be due to an infestation rather than the product not working. It can take months to get rid of fleas because the flea lifecycle can last 30-90 days. PetArmor breaks this life cycle as newly emerged fleas will be killed as they come in contact with the pet. Getting rid of fleas can be accelerated by vacuuming the carpet and washing bedding. Also, it is important to treat all the pets in your household as they can transmit fleas and ticks to one another. Using PetArmor every month on all pets will protect them from fleas and ticks. For more information, watch my video on how to get rid of fleas for good.
Yes. A monthly application of PetArmor will kill and control chewing lice.
The active ingredient in PetArmor, fipronil, has been proven safe and effective in studies and over many years of use. Sensitivities may occur after using any flea and tick products. You may see temporary irritation at the application area. If your pet continues to show any signs of sensitivity, see your veterinarian immediately and before reapplying PetArmor.
No. Just because you don’t see adult fleas or ticks doesn’t mean they’re not hiding in your carpet or backyard. Applying PetArmor flea and tick medication every month will help prevent future infestations.
There are no known reactions between fipronil-based products, like PetArmor, and other medications, but you should ask your veterinarian.
As Director of Medicine in the ASPCA’s Adoption Center, Dr. Lander manages the care and health of hundreds of cats and dogs.
True. Chocolate can contain high amounts of fat and caffeine-like stimulants known as methylxanthines. If ingested in significant amounts, chocolate can potentially produce clinical effects in dogs ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases.
False. Cats do not possess significant amounts of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk. Feeding milk and milk-based products to cats can actually cause them to vomit or have diarrhea, which in severe cases could lead to inflammation of the pancreas. For this reason, it’s always a good idea to check with your veterinarian before offering any “people food” to your pets.
The following is a list of the 17 most common poisonous plants.
- Sago Palm
- Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
- Castor Bean
- Autumn Crocus
- English Ivy
- Peace Lily (AKA Mauna Loa Peace Lily)
You should avoid feeding the following foods to your pets:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Yeast dough
- Products sweetened with xylitol
No! Ibuprofen can definitely be toxic to dogs and other pets—even in small amounts. Depending on the dose ingested, significant gastrointestinal damage or even kidney damage could result.
Bacterial-related gastrointestinal problems could occur from drinking stagnant toilet water, so it is a good idea to point your pet in the direction of their water bowl, and away from the toilet bowl.
After your dog’s been outside in the sleet, snow or ice, thoroughly wipe off his legs and stomach. If he licks his paws, he could ingest salt, antifreeze or other potentially dangerous chemicals. His paw pads may also bleed from snow or encrusted ice.
Antifreeze, while essential to a car’s cooling system, is very dangerous to your pets if they are exposed to it. Be sure to thoroughly clean up any spills from your vehicle, and consider using products that contain propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol.
Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. If ingested, they can produce stomach irritation in pets, and possibly even central nervous system depression.
Do not apply sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. The ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy in pets.
Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which if swallowed could result in difficulty breathing, or kidney disease in severe cases.
Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages can be poisonous to pets and if ingested, the animal could become extremely weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma.
Content Source: ASPCA, Animal Poison Control FAQ
The ASPCA is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization and is not formally affiliated with any other SPCA.